Main Menu

Explore More

District Menu

Scholarships & Financial Aid


In your scholarship search, be sure to...

1. ...check the website of your prospective
 for a scholarship application
that is unique to this school.  Some colleges'
scholarship applications are embedded within their
admissions applications.

2. ...regularly check the CHS Scholarship
 .  Check back for the list soon.    This list usually
continues to grow in length, peaking Jan.-March.

3. on your own, via free online
scholarship search engines
 . See
examples of these search engines below.


Scholarship Search
College & Career Center

Do you need help completing the FAFSA?  If so, the  CHS College & Career Center, located in Sousa #119, can help.  The Facilitator can assist students in the completion of college admissions, financial aid applications, SAT/ACT registration, College Searches, as well as Career Interest Inventories.  Walk-ins are encouraged during Senior home pass periods.  Or... for a hall pass to be generated, simply ask your Counselor to refer you to the CHS College Career Center.


File FAFSA in Oct.

Through the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), you can apply for several forms of financial aid, including...

  • Grants
  • Need Based Scholarships
  • Work Study Programs
  • Loans

  You can complete the FAFSA as early as October of your Senior year.

If you are not able to complete the FAFSA, due to foreign status, see the TASFA information below.


Letters of Recommendation

Many scholarship applications require
letters of recommendation

Students are encouraged to identify at least 
three people who would be willing to write
a positive letter of recommendation.

Plan to give each of these individuals a
copy of your personal resume.

You counselor can provide you with a sample resume upon request.


Texas Application State Financial Aid

The State of Texas allows certain categories
of foreign students to meet state
requirements for residency
 . This
enables students to pay resident tuition
& fee rates 
while attending public colleges
in Texas in addition to meeting residency
requirements for some financial aid programs.

To receive this classification, you must be able to meet one of the criteria below:

  • ...hold a visa that enables you to domicile in the United States*. You (or your parent) must be gainfully employed in Texas for at least 12 months preceding enrollment.
  • ...regardless of INS status, petitioned for permanent residency status (have filed an I-130 or I-140).
  • ...have resided in Texas for 36 consecutive months leading up to graduation from high school, living at least part of that time with a parent or court-appointed legal guardian. You have not established a residence in another state or location and have not taken ANY college hours prior to fall 2001 that required admission to an institution of higher education. (This includes hours taken through dual enrollment while attending high school).

The Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA) is used to collect information to help determine eligibility for state financial aid programs that are administered by Texas colleges. Students that are classified as a Texas Resident who cannot apply for federal financial aid using the FAFSA are encouraged to complete the TASFA. Please note that Texas Residency can only be determined by the institution that you plan to attend. The TASFA cannot be used to determine your state residency status or final eligibility for state aid. If you feel that you would qualify, you should complete the TASFA.  For more information you can view this helpful TASFA video.