Required Credit / STAAR
graduation credit requirements
2018 Seniors (& beyond) must successfully complete the following course credits (and pass required STAAR tests) on the Foundations with Endorsements Graduation Plan (Distinguished Level of Achievement college preparatory plan).
- 4 English credits
- 4 Math credits (including Alg.1, Geom., & either Alg.2 or College Prep Math)
- 4 Science credits (must include Biology, plus either IPC, Chemistry, or Physics)
- 3 Social Studies credits (must include Govt./Econ., US History, plus either World Geography or World History)
- 2 Languages other than English
- 1 P.E. credit (or Athl., or Substitute)
- 1 Fine Arts credit
- 1 Technology credit (SAISD requires a computer related course)
- 6 Electives credits
- 26 TOTAL CREDITS
Students are also required to choose an endorsement (see the information listed below).
More details are listed in SAISD's High School Educational Planning & Course Guide.
STAAR Tests & Testing Calendar
The State of Texas requires all students to successfully complete required credits, as well as pass the following STAAR tests:
- STAAR English I
- STAAR English II
- STAAR Algebra I
- STAAR Biology
- STAAR U.S. History
For students who struggle on these tests, Central High School offers a variety STAAR Remediation opportunities during the school year as well as during the summer.
Test and re-test opportunities occur in the Spring, Summer and December of each school year.
Specific STAAR tesing dates are available at the SAISD website.
Students on the college-prep graduation plan are also required to choose (and meet the requirements of) at least one of the following:
- STEM Endorsement (Sci,, Techn., Engineering, & Math) - for students who plan to take additional/advanced math, science, computer science and/or robotics courses.
- Arts & Humanities Endorsement - for students who plan to take several Fine Arts, Foreign Languages, or Social Studies courses.
- Public Service Endorsement- for students who plan to take JROTC I-IV, or several Career/Technology classes in 1 or more of the following areas: Education Training, Criminal Justice, Health Science, &/or Human Services
- Business & Industry Endorsement - for students who plan to take advanced Debate, Newspaper and/or Yearbook classes, or... several Career & Technology courses in 1 or more of the following areas: Ag., Busin./Mkt/Finance, Tech./Computer, Construction/Architecture, Work Co-op, Marketing, Hospitality/Tourism, &/or Auto Tech/Collision.
- Multi-Disciplinary Endorsement - for students who plan to earn an additional 1.0 Social Studies credit or 4.0 AP/Dual Credit credits.
More specific details about each endorsement are listed in the High School Educational Planning & Course Guide at SAISD's website.
Although it is not mandatory, students can earn additional academic honors such as...
1. Distinguished Level of Achievement by graduating on Foundations Plan with...
- ...at least one Endorsement
- ...at least 4 Science credits
- ...at least 4 Math credits (including Alg.2)
2. Performance Acknowledgements in any of the following areas :
- Dual Credit - accumulate 12 hours (4 courses) of college credit with B or higher
- AP - Score a 3 or higher on AP Exam
- PSAT - Achieve National Merit, Commended, Natl. Hispanic or Natl. Achievement Scholar status
- Aspire (Pre-ACT) - recognized as College Ready in 2 or more subjects
- SAT - Math + E.B. Reading/Writing = 1310
- ACT - Composite score of 28 or higher
- Bilingual/Biliteracy - 3 on AP For.Lang. test, or B or higher in For.Lang. 1, 2,& 3; or in For.Lang. 4
- National or International recognized Business/Industry Certificate or License