Main Menu

Explore More

District Menu

Military, First Responders & Vocational Info.

American flag

Military Information and Benefits

Military Academies

To learn more about the application process you can visit the website(s) of your prospective academy.

To learn more about he Academy Nomination Process, visit Congressman Pfluger's website


Once each year (usually in early-mid November), CHS administers the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB). 

Although this test was developed by the military, any student can take this test if they need help identifying a career field that matches their natural interests and abilities. 

Registration forms will be available at the front counter of the CHS counseling center by the beginning of November. 

For more information, you can visit the ASVAB website.


Career exploration

Do you need assistance in identifying a career field that matches your natural interests and abilities?  If so, the CHS College & Career Center can help.  The College & Career Center is located in Sousa #119.  The Facilitator can assist students in the completion of college admissions, financial aid applications, SAT/ACT registration, College Searches, as well as Career Interest Inventories.  Email the College/Career Center Facilitator if you would like to schedule an appointment.  Walk-ins are encouraged during Senior home pass periods.  Or... for a hall pass to be generated, simply ask your Counselor to refer you to the CHS College Career Center.

College Searches

Do you need help finding a college that is right for you.  You can utilize College Search Engines such as:  CollegeScoreCard (Custom Search), College Navigator CollegeBoard Big Future

If you are interested in attending a post high school program that specializing in training students for a specific vocational trade, or the Texas Workforce Solutions may be able to assist you in identifying a Technical school.

Veterans benefits

The Hazlewood Act is a State of Texas benefit that provides qualified Veterans, spouses, and dependent children with an education benefit of up to 150 hours of tuition exemption, including most fee charges, at public institutions of higher education in Texas. This does not include living expenses, books, or supply fees.

The Montgomery GI Bill program (MGIB) provides up to 36 months of education benefits. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty.

Chapter 35:  Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA):  A child (between ages 18 and 26, with some exceptions) of a veteran who is permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition; or who died of a service-connected disability; or who died while evaluated as having total and permanent service-connected disability; or who is listed as a POW or MIA.  If you qualify, you should complete the following VA Form 22-5490:    Dependents' Application for VA Education Benefits (Under Provisions of chapters 33 and 35, of title 38, U.S.C.) (Fillable) .  See the last page of this document for mailing instructions.  

Tuition Exemption for Children of Disabled or Deceased Firefighters and Law Enforcement Officers 

Program Purpose:  Provide tuition assistance in the form of exemption of all dues, fees, and charges for any child of an eligible disabled or deceased firefighter or law enforcement officer injured in the line of duty.

Eligibility Requirements:  To be determined eligible for this exemption by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB), the following criteria must be met by the parent:

Parent was once a paid or volunteer:

  • Firefighter
  • Municipal peace officer
  • County peace officer
  • State peace officer
  • State game warden; OR
  • Paid custodial officer of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice—in the state of Texas; and

Parent suffered a work-related injury in the line of duty that resulted in death* or disability.

  • If parent was disabled, the disability determination must be issued by a physician designated to make disability reports to the Social Security Administration.