Dual Credit/ AP and Pre-AP
Ap or Dual Credit?
What exactly do the terms "Pre-AP, AP & Dual Credit (DC)" mean ?
- Pre-Advanced Placement (Pre-AP) - College Preparatory course offered at the middle school or high school level. These courses do not result in college credit.
- Advanced Placement (AP) - Nationally recognized college level course with curriculum that is regulated by Collegeboard. Colleges and universities may grant college credit to students who obtain a score of 3 or higher on the examination given at the end of the course. See "AP Credit Policy" in the information box below for more details.
- Dual Credit (DC) - A course that stems from an agreement between the local school district, universities and community colleges whereby a high school student enrolls in a college course and simultaneously earns both college and high school credit. These courses can be offered on either the high school or college campus.
In order to be added to the ASU Dual Credit roster, students must first...
1. ... complete an ASU-DC application available at the front counter in the CHS Counseling Center, and
2. ...meet the admissions requirements listed below:
Requirements for ASU-DC on the CHS Campus
- Rank in the top half your class, or
- Have a "B" average or higher
- For ASU-DC English courses, students must also meet TSI (College Readiness) standards in English via Eng. 2 STAAR (4000), SAT, ACT or TSI tests.
- For ASU-DC Math courses, students must also meet TSI (College Readiness) standards in Math via the Alg. I STAAR (4000), SAT, ACT or TSI tests.
- For ASU-DC Physics I, students must either have a 4000 or higher on the Alg. 1 STAAR test, have B's or higher in previous Pre-AP math classes, or have A's or higher in previous grade level math classes.
- *SAISD/ASU may set alternative college readiness standards if a student has been exempted from the STAAR (i.e. COVID)
Requirements for ASU-DC on the ASU Campus
- Rank in the top half of your class, and
- ACT Score=17 (Composite Score), or SAT Score=920 (Combined Math+EBRW (Reading/Writing) , and
- For ASU-DC English & Math courses, meet TSI (College Readiness) Standards through TSI, SAT/ACT or STAAR (English II=4000, Alg.1=4000), and
- Provide proof of meningitis vaccination (within 5 years of the 1st day of class) and
- Meet any other ASU or SAISD prerequisite requirements for the specific course.
Due to privacy laws, CHS cannot request your college transcript. If you would like a copy of your ASU transcript, or want ASU to send your transcript to another college, you will need to complete ASU's Online Transcript Request Form.
ASU's school codes: 6644 or 003541
(4164 for ACT)
In order to be added to the Howard College Dual Credit (HC-DC) roster, students are required to...
1. ... complete the HC-DC Application available at the front counter of the CHS counseling center, and
2. ... meet TSI (College Readiness) Standards in the area of the prospective college course:
- HC-DC Social Studies Course - Meet TSI in Reading or score 4000+ on Eng. 2 STAAR.
- HC-DC Math Course (online or @HC) Meet TSI in Math or score 4000+ on Alg. 1 STAAR.
- HC-DC Eng. Course (online or @HC) Meet TSI in Reading/Writing or 4000+ on Eng. 2 STAAR.
- Other approved HC Course (online or @HC) Meet TSI-Read. or 4000+ on Eng2 STAAR.
- *SAISD/Howard College may set alternative college readiness standards if a student has been exempted from the STAAR (i.e. COVID).
Due to privacy laws, CHS cannot request your college transcript. If you would like a copy of your Howard College transcript, or want Howard to send your transcript to another college, you will need to complete Howard College's transcript request form and either mail or take the completed form to the Howard College Registrar.
Howard School Codes: 6277 or 003574
(4100 for ACT)