San Angelo ISD is proudly expanding our Career and Technical Education (CTE) course offerings to provide more future-readiness opportunities for secondary students for the 2021-2022 school year. At SAISD, CTE programs provide students with an array of options to explore and prepare for their individual future success - whether that be pursuing a college education or entering the workforce.
“We designed our Career and Technical Education program to provide students a way to find their own passion and develop that passion into future success,” said SAISD Director of Secondary Curriculum and Instruction, Dr. Candi Callas. “CTE is not solely vocational as it was in year’s past but now offers a variety of opportunities spanning many programs of study for our students from healthcare to engineering to welding to culinary arts. We are continually striving to find ways to engage our students in a relevant and inspiring education.”
Dr. Callas announced at the March School Board Meeting that the Director of Career and Technical Education, Roxanne Fentress, and Secondary Curriculum and Instruction administrators, counselors, principals and educators worked together to identify strategic areas to build a more robust program with more courses to support students’ individual hopes and dreams. CTE allows students to use academic knowledge and problem solving skills while acquiring occupationally specific skills as part of their high school curriculum. SAISD high school students can choose from CTE course pathways like construction management and inspection, welding, healthcare, culinary arts, design and multimedia arts, teaching and training, accounting and financial services, animal science, entrepreneurship and marketing, law enforcement, cosmetology, automotive technology, digital communications, and robotics. The full listing of CTE programs of study, pathways and course offerings is available online in the 2021-2022 SAISD Opportunity Guide.
New CTE courses added for the upcoming school year include:
- Agricultural Equipment, Design, and Fabrication (Program of Study: Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources / Pathway: Agriculture Engineering Pathway)
- Graphic Design and Illustration 1 (Program of Study: Arts, AV Technology, and Communications / Pathway, and Design and Multimedia Arts)
- Principles of Business, Marketing, and Finance (Program of Study: Business, Marketing, and Finance / Pathway: Entrepreneurship/Marketing Pathway)
- Sports and Entertainment Marketing 2 (Program of Study: Business, Marketing, and Finance / Pathway: Entrepreneurship/Marketing Pathway)
- Entrepreneurship 2 (Program of Study: Business, Marketing, and Finance, Pathway: Entrepreneurship/Marketing Pathway)
- Principles of Health Science (Program of Study: Health Sciences Program of Study/Pathway: Healthcare Therapeutic Pathway)
- Introduction to Culinary Arts (Program of Study: Hospitality and Tourism / Pathway: Culinary Arts)
- Principles of Hospitality and Tourism (Program of Study: Hospitality and Tourism / Pathway: Culinary Arts)
- Foundations of Restaurant Management (Program of Study: Hospitality and Tourism / Pathway: Culinary Arts)
- Web Design (Program of Study: Information Technology/ Web Development Pathway)
- Web Game Development (in the Information Technology Program of Study and Web Development Pathway)
In addition to the new courses, the following two new Programs of Study and Pathways including course offerings were also added for the 2021-2022 school year:
- Human Services Program of Study / Pathway: Family and Community Services / Courses: Principles of Community Services, Human Grown and Development, Child Development, Counseling and Mental Health, Practicum in Human Services
- Program of Study: Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) / Pathway: Engineering / Courses: Principles of Applied Engineering, Introduction to Engineering Design, Engineering Design and Development
Watch the following video to see a sample of CTE courses that are currently offered in San Angelo ISD.
In addition to the education and skills learned through CTE courses, many SAISD students also earn technical dual credit. Currently, SAISD is able to offer technical dual credit for 47 of our SAISD CTE courses for students. To hear some of what our students currently enrolled in CTE have had to say about their experiences, click here. SAISD also recently announced an innovative partnership for our CTE program to bring additional unique manufacturing and engineering opportunities to our students in 2022-2023.